Joe Hendren

[ Home ] [ Articles ] [ Blog Home ] [ Travel ] [ Links] [About Me]

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Letterbox awards for Campaign '05

Driving home in the car today I planned to make a post about letterboxes, only to find Span already musing on the same subject.

Election time for most politicos usually involves strolling around the local streets delivering leaflets of information in the hope of better informing voters.

Today I strolled down memory lane, delivering Alliance tabloids to the very first street I lived, Haslet Place in Riccarton. I snuck a peek down the driveway to see the old house, the red-brick box I had not lived in since 1983 or thereabouts. As I folded each tabloid and placed it in each letterbox in Haslet Place, I came across a lovely childhood memory I had long forgotten.

The Lighthouse Letterbox. As a tot I remember enjoying walking past the letterbox shaped like a model lighthouse, with little windows and a tiny railing around the top. I liked the novelty of the letters going in vertically through a narrow slot and the decorative rocks attached to the base of the lighthouse. Sadly, like many real lighthouses, the passing of twenty years has left the lighthouse letterbox in a rather tatty state of repair. Once it looked so proud and novel.

But my vote for the best letterbox I saw this election campaign goes to some ingenious folks in Hokitika. What was perched out at the gate, where a letterbox should be?

An Old Microwave, with a the number of the house painted in white on the dark microwave door. Delivering a leaflet involved opening the door, which as I thought later was a great way to protect the mail from the elements - no more soggy envelopes!

Any other nominations for best letterbox of Election '05?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:36 pm, Blogger Span said...

i know what you mean about memory lane - i leafleted the state house my mother grew up in, on the weekend, and it was an eerie feeling. of course i don't recall my mother's childhood there, but i visited Nana there for many years, until she was moved just up the road to a smaller council flat (i leafleted that too). it looked so much smaller than i remembered, and some how naked, without the garden that Nana maintained. i felt oddly emotional about the whole thing, considering she's been dead for nigh on 12 years.

 
At 2:10 pm, Blogger Joe Hendren said...

Greg - nod - letterboxes you have to climb to get to seem to be a quirk of Wellington. I encountered this when I delivered for the Alliance in 2002.

Perhaps people could put their letterboxes on a little hand drawn 'cable car' :)

 
At 2:13 pm, Blogger Joe Hendren said...

I took a few trips to Dunedin during the campaign - I would imagine parts of dunedin would be even worse than wellington to deliver to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home