Joe Hendren

[ Home ] [ Articles ] [ Blog Home ] [ Travel ] [ Links] [About Me]

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Hitchhiking Hone

Good to read that Te Tao Tokerau MP Hone Harawira has found a new way to keep in touch with his constituents - hitchhiking his way home.

While Hone is eligible for free airtravel and taxis as an MP, he continues to stand by the side of the road asking for a lift, not to save money, but to meet people.

"I meet a lot of people who don't go to meetings, so I get to know what's happening in their world. Ordinary people with ordinary issues," he said.

"People think I'm mad. I've always hitched and now that I'm an MP, I don't see why I should stop. I want them to know I'm still the same guy. I just want to keep it real."

Hone did not think it was a good idea for National leader Don Brash to follow his hitchhiking example.

"If Don Brash was hitchhiking in Kaitaia, one of my cousins would probably run him over."

Personally I have never hitchhiked. My Mum did once when she was young, but ended up completely in the wrong place. While it doesn't seem that much of a horror story now, sometimes the stories you hear as a child can cause you to hesitate before doing things as an adult. It must be said that sometimes this can be a good thing!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!

I've got to say that hitch-hiking round Northland is probably easier than anywhere else I've tried in the country.

Go hitchin MPs

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger Joe Hendren said...

thanks George

Do you still have a blog, or has it changed address? The reason I ask is that it appears someone is cybersquatting on your old blog - if so I will remove it from my links - I just wanted to check with you first!

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Terence said...

Hone Harawira's certainly intriguing isn't he? Once upon a time I would have doubted that he had much constructive to offer New Zealand politics; but not days he's starting to seem quite impressive...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home