Joe Hendren

[ Home ] [ Articles ] [ Blog Home ] [ Travel ] [ Links] [About Me]

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

New year new city for me

Apologies for lack of transmission over the traditional winter solstice period, I have been busy moving cities. I moved to Auckland over the weekend.

But never fear cantabs - I will attempt to keep an eye on the news down south as the blogsphere is certainly overrepresented by the obsessions of the north. I promise not to make a sudden conversion to supporting the Auckland rugby team, largely because I don't care a great deal about the Canterbury or any other rugby team for that matter. So long as they beat Auckland (joke).

I find it interesting that Auckland, Wellington and Dunedin people say Christchurch is a hard place to navigate as it is too flat. Really its easy - just look at where the port hills are and you have a clear marker of direction. But take a cantab away from those hills and they end up in many a U-turn as they lose their sense of direction. I have taken many many wrong turns in my first few days here.

I am currently staying in Avondale and it certainly has its quirks. I went looking for a pub to get a bite to eat and watch the cricket and none could be found. I enjoyed the irony of finding lots of churches instead. All these institutions aiming to save my soul and all I wanted was the demon drink! I must add I am not a big drinker at all, and this probably coloured my perceptions - I didn't feel the need to feel guilty about looking for a pub. The next day I attempted to buy a bottle of wine with the groceries only to be told the wine needed to be paid for seperately, at another counter - what is it with this suburb and the occasional drink in moderation??

I later found out this is a legacy of Mt Roskill being a 'dry' area for years and years. With this in mind I found myself quitely appreciating Helen Clark for voting against the stupid bill to raise the drinking age last year - given the area she must have had a lot of knee jerk social conservatives to deal with. Good on her for siding with sanity and effective policy over "appearance" medicine.

PS: Happy new year

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand wanting to leave Christchurch, but why on earth would you move to Auckland?

(speaking from the suburban delights of Hamilton's fringe)

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Joe Hendren said...

My job (researcher at NDU) got moved from Christchurch to Auckland.

Congrats on the new kiwi! Are you planning to stay in NZ or are you heading back to Oz?

Good to know Hamilton has a fringe - are you speaking geographically or culturally? ;)

 
At 4:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the move! Shame you'll leaving ChCh though. Yes Kakariki - some of us like ChCh!!!

 
At 4:54 pm, Blogger Rich said...

I've noticed that most of the AK suburbs lack for decent pubs, even the one's that aren't former dry areas. Most of them just have the one bar primarily for scary people and pokie addicts.

Kingsland has four good bars and isn't too far from Mt. Roskill though (and in Helen's electorate!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home